Thursday, May 24, 2012

That my child may have peace

I hope you’re able to see the poster accompanying this blog post.  It’s a wonderful photograph of a servicewoman in camouflage hugging her daughter with tears streaming down her face.  The caption reads, “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” 

What a powerful reminder of the spirit that, at its finest, motivates our armed forces. We all want peace.  We want it for ourselves and for future generations.  It’s one of the hard realities that the desire for peace often seems to mean we have no choice but to take up arms.  While people can disagree on how to respond to that desire and choice, there should be no doubt that the dream of peace – especially in a volunteer military – compels our service personnel today. 

The poster also reflects the driving force behind the sacrifice of Jesus. I can easily see Jesus here, embracing any one of us children, tears streaming down his face, wanting only our welfare and our peace. I can see him saying, “Take me, that my children might live in peace.”  

I do hear him saying that – from the Garden and the cross. That is what He did. This is the meaning of sacrifice. 

This weekend we thank God for that spirit of sacrificial love that is ours in Jesus Christ.  We thank God for that spirit motivating our service personnel and our veterans. We thank God for anyone who receives and honors and acts on the spirit that calls us to loving sacrifice: 

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”

 Jesus said, “In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart! I have overcome the world.”


Pastor Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment