Thursday, June 28, 2012

Living Large


Ever since we started planning for our summer sermon series, The BIG  Picture, I’ve been thinkingabout living large.  (No, please do not insert weight joke here.) Am I “living large” with the life I’ve been given? Are you?

Marti Ringenbach’s sermon last weekend got me to pondering one verse in particular of the passage she read.  The apostle Paul is writing to the Ephesians (Ephesus is in modern-day Turkey) about the immensity of what God is doing for us in Jesus Christ.  He says that God is setting forth in Christ a plan for the fullness of time – to gather up all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth. (Eph. 1:10)

There’s enormity in those words!  God’s plan is to gather up – that is, to bring together, to reconcile, to heal – everything!   Everything that in our lives is broken, alienated, hostile or divided – God will re-unite.  Our planet. Our nations. Our families. Our souls and spirits. Our hearts and minds. Everything that exists will be healed.

Once we even glimpse this astounding promise, we can understand more deeply the work that God wants us to do.  It’s the same work – healing, making peace, reconciling, forgiving.  Making one where there now is two.  Repairing the breech. Binding the wounds. Fostering agreements. Ending hostilities.

Yet we often settle for just “straightening our desks.” Rather than leave a messy top and get outside to do the big things, we stay around tidying up the small details. I need to confess this small thing; I need to examine myself; I need to explain myself; I need to forget it; and so on. 

Yes, I still believe that the small things, like mustard-seed faith, are important. But sometimes we act small out of fear, not love.  Someone wise said, “Your playing small does not serve the world.”

Here’s that Marianne Williamson quote in its fuller context: 
            “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.  … Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you.  We are all meant to shine, as children do.  We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.”

I resonate with those words.  I’ve just begun a new decade – well, at least the first number is new – and that sort of thing does tend to re-focus our view of life. We ponder, “What am I called to do?  Why am I here?  What are my gifts?  What is God planning and wanting from me?”

And God reminds us that his plan includes healing and reconciling, forgiving and uniting. We have the capacity to do so much more of this than we usually settle for.  It takes vision and courage, true, but God gives us vision and courage through the Holy Sprit of Jesus Christ.

God helps us do what God wants us to do.

I hope you’ll reflect on your life today.  Are you helping to bring reconciliation at work?  How’s your marriage? Are you ending divisions or perpetuating them? What alienation is Christ nudging you to bridge? 

You are powerful.  Remember The BIG   Picture.  Risk a little larger today.
 

Pastor Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment