Thursday, October 25, 2012


I’ve always sort of been a sucker for reunions.  I’m the rare bird that enjoys high school reunions. If I’m invited back to a former church, I like seeing and hearing how peoples’ lives have unfolded in my absence. I dream about former homes and past communities.
This week a group of my former classmates is attending a Yale Divinity School 35th Cluster Reunion.  I went 5 years ago and hope to go in another five, so I decided to sit this one out.  But I’ve enjoyed reading Facebook updates from old friends and classmates and remembering how my faith was shaped by those years in New Haven.
My “conversion experience” happened through the teaching of Robert Johnson in systematic theology, where sin was first explained in a way that I said, “Oh, that’s me.” And once I saw that, I knew that Jesus came for me as well, and that the Christian story was my story too, and … well, all sorts of things began to click into place after that. Thank you, God, for Robert Johnson.
My spiritual life grew under the guidance and friendship of Henri Nouwen. While I was first visiting the school, this unknown man with the heavy Dutch accent welcomed me to his apartment for tea and conversation. I had the privilege of getting to know him in worship, in the classroom, and even at the movie theater.  (He loved “Star Wars.”) Thank you, God, for Henri Nouwen.

Joan Forsberg taught me that being interrupted by people wasn’t a distraction from my ministry, it was my ministry. Abraham Malherbe and Marvin Pope opened the Scriptures to me in a vivid and life-changing way.  Bill Muehl’s wisdom in preaching has helped me prepare to preach almost every single week since.  Thank you, God, for them all.
Each of these people has passed away in the intervening 35 years.  And one aspect of heaven that captivates me powerfully is the notion of an eternal reunion.  I want to see my Dad and his parents and Cousin Ellen and so many others – but I know I’d be blessed by seeing these wonderful teachers again too.  I’d say Thank You – and I’d ask what they’ve learned since they came to heaven that they could pass on!

Celebrate the people – and don’t lose contact with those – who’ve shaped your life.
This Sunday we get to be reunited with a living teacher and friend to Burke UMC.  The Rev. Dr. Justin Allen, son of Randy and Gail, influenced numerous youth when he worked here as a youth pastor years ago.  Justin is now the Dean of Spiritual Life and Director of the Institute for Church Professions at Shenandoah University in Winchester. 

I hope you’ll come to welcome and hear this dynamic young church leader, one who himself will be remembered by hundreds of students in the years to come.


Pastor Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment