Thursday, January 31, 2013


Dear Friend of Burke UMC,

 The calendar is pulling us into February already, and the season of Lent is just around the corner.  During Lent I plan to preach on the events that led to Jesus’ death on the cross for us.  So I took a book to lunch today and began reading.

The book was titled The Last Week. It helps us grasp what happened to Jesus on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday of Holy Week, to understand more clearly the quick turnaround between the triumph of Palm Sunday and the tragedy of Good Friday. I’ll draw on this for our Lenten sermon series. 

As a fortunate parallel, we’ll begin a discussion of The Last Week this coming Sunday.  Audrey Romasco will host a group read-and-discuss beginning Sunday, February 3, at 10:30 am.  This is an opportunity I hope you won’t miss.

The authors refer to the traditional meaning of the word “passion” as speaking about the suffering of Jesus. Mel Gibson’s movie The Passion of the Christ focused on the agony Jesus endured for us.  “Passion” is from the Latin noun passio, which means “suffering.”

But we also use the word “passion” to mean a high degree of interest or energy for something.  “His passion is gardening.”  “She speaks with great passion.” Jesus had a passion in his sense, too.  His passion was the Kingdom of God.

This is what Jesus was most passionate about – living for God’s justice, God’s rule, God’s determination to put the world right.  He dedicated his life to speaking and teaching and embodying the realm of love and justice God was shaping.  You could say that his passion for the Kingdom led to his passion on the cross. His commitment to God’s world put him into inevitable conflict with the world around him.

Already I’m pondering over my Diet Coke where my passion lies.  Am I dedicated to the vision of God’s Kingdom?  Am I energized by living God’s way?  Am I as passionate about the Kingdom as I am about maintaining my beliefs – or my political views – or my team’s success on Sunday – or my family?   What do I yearn for the most intensely?

Before I’m finished the Preface I’m asking big questions.  Lent is a time for doing that – for asking big questions and listening for big answers.

But relax – there’s still a Super Bowl between now and then. Audrey’s class is a couple of days away. There’s another Diet Coke in the frig.  That big stuff can wait.

Then again, some big questions just don’t wait.
 
 
Pastor Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment