Thursday, May 2, 2013

Jesus in Color

I want to thank you again for your prayers for me as I spent the last week in Israel. We spent as much or more time looking at 21st Century Israel as we did at 1st Century Israel. We went to Jerusalem and Galilee and the Dead Sea. We also went to the Knesset, a kibbutz near Gaza, and the Red Cross station on the border of Syria. Both were powerful perspectives for me, and I look forward to sharing my insights in the weeks to come.
One thing about 1st Century Israel that struck me was the opportunity to put places and colors to the locations we only read about in the Bible. When I read in Matthew 13, "That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat beside the sea," my vision of that event remains vague and colorless in my mind.
But when I was actually in the land, I realized how concrete these events were. I understood that the fuller story would say, "One Wednesday morning in the spring, about 8:30, the sky was a glorious blue, the sun was hot, and the breezes off the Sea of Galilee caressed the faces of the disciples. Jesus went out of his house in Capernaum, walked through the town and down to the grassy bank of the Sea of Galilee, and sat on the ridge by the intersection."
His days were like ours - blue and green, grey or brown, rainy or cool. Seeing the land itself (which is so important is Israel's life, then and now) - its roads and ridges and overlooks - helped bring His story to life.
The other thing about 1st Century Israel that struck me was the proximity of one place to another. When I experienced how close Capernaum is to the Mount of the Beatitudes, and to the beach where the disciples ate fish with their Risen Lord, then the concrete reality of His life struck more forcefully. I experienced the geography of Jesus's life and could easily apply it to our geography.
That is, a parallel to his ministry there would be to say, "Jesus taught in the Rolling Valley Mall parking lot. Then he walked down Old Keene Mill Rd to the intersection, where he called his disciples. Later he gathered with them at Burke Lake Park. The next day he walked to Chipotle. "
I could visit the places that this man actually lived. Just as it rooted the reality of His life in a particular geography, it also rooted Jesus' life more closely in the geography of my heart.
I did errands around our community today, with the vision that Jesus could be that young man jogging down Burke Centre Parkway. He could be in that group of teenagers in Chipotle. He drives down our roads on a beautiful blue and green May morning, just as surely as He walked in Galilee.
 
Pastor Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment